Wednesday 15 May 2013

The Newest Dilemna

I am constantly caught in the pull of knowing I likely wouldn't be able to harvest my own animals (as in killing them myself) and knowing that sending them away is much harder on them. They live their life at my farm and sending them to have their last day off the farm just doesn't sit well with me.

As Steve always says, baby steps Leasha.

As some of you may know we got 6 meat chickens about a month ago which you only keep for 6-8 weeks. Meaning their time is slowly coming to a close. Is this something I think I could carry out myself? I'm honestly not sure. A part of me really wants to say I could but I don't feel confident or self sufficient enough. When you think of things in a primal form I feel like I sound so silly. We raise chickens, we eat chickens but I don't have the gumption to carry out the act. Selfish? Some would say so. If I really want to ensure my animals have a stress free life I should be thinking about every way I can do that - regardless of if its hard on me or not.

Looking through similar blogs I came across these videos. ATTENTION everybody should know before they click on these links they do show how to kill, pluck and butcher a chicken. So if you don't want to see it don't watch. Although being scared to understand the process of how your meal gets on your table should be more of a priority in everybodys life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_S3P0eU0lE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExGRrwlhldA

Both courtesy of permies.com

What got me also in that it is a woman doing this in the video, it doesn't take brawn or brute to kill something, rather it takes confident and heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment