Friday 24 May 2013

Farm Visits

I have been in touch with a wonderful woman that contacted me after her and her two daughters started reading my blog. Through the blog they have been learning the ins and outs of farm life as well as the truth about commercial farming. In turn they have also had to face the idea of where our food comes from and naturally had some reservations about how I am able to raise up and love my animals when they will eventually end up on the dinner plate.
I find this question always so immensely hard to answer. I do love my animals and no I don't WANT to kill them. The thing is, if I want to take a stand against commercial farming this is something I have to do. Me becoming a vegetarian only stops one person from buying commercially where as if I raise my animals and sell the meat I can stop many many more people from buying commercially. I show my pigs lots of love and affection because I want them to experience that. Even though in the end it likely will be harder for me, that shouldn't be what decides the quality of their life.
We have decided to also kill our meat chickens ourselves (plus help from Steves brother Dave who writes a blog called Food With Legs). The reasoning behind this is first off, everybodys Grandma or Grandpa has probably done this so I should stop being such a baby about it. Second, I don't want them to have to go through the stress of being caged in a slaughter house. They have lived a quite comfortable life and I want to do all I can to keep it that way. Am I going to cry? Yes, probably I am. But the point is to make it easier on them not me.
Back to our visit, I am so inspired to see young girls wanting to learn. Sometimes farming can seem like a mans world but as a woman you have to realize you can do anything you put your mind to. You can impact anything you choose to. If you don't agree with something then do something about it! You may only be able to educate yourself at first but that is a huge start. The reason commercial farming is the way it is today is because people have allowed themselves to become ignorant and hand over the power of their food production to somebody else.
The point of this blog is to make people think about their impact on the world as well as bring people together with the same morals and ideals! Great to see it starting to spread out beyond these property lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment